Sunday, September 7, 2014

Thur 9/4 and Scooter Hell

KR here...Well, first of all, I'm fine/we're fine...however, had a little "snafu" with the scooter on Thur...I've driven scooters in the (many yrs) past and TR never had so we're getting the scooter (to share), the gal shows me how it works, and then suggests I try it out on the block where they are before loading TR & everything on to go explore.
So...I pretty slowly pull out of the scooter place onto the street, go down to an area w/a parking lot that I'll do a u-turn in the road, but Im not used to the turning radius, so I just go down into the little hilly, dirt parking lot, thinking, I'll just turn around in here and go up the little hill and back onto the street.
Buuuuttt...apparently I have my first "senior moment" or something, b/c, as I twist the throttle toward me (which still seems like a weird motion to both of us), it accelerates much too much, much too quickly, and I'm suddenly hurtling out of control, and very fast, toward a car and a big pine tree!.
As it's happening, everything is going in slow motion and I both cannot process how to keep the thing from accelerating,nor can I seem to be able to think about braking. Its as if the scooter has control and I have none, yet I am totally aware of that fact as its happening, so I start thinking, "this is very BAD. This may not turn out well. I could be injured REALLY badly. This is really going to f* up our vacation. I may be in a cast. Gawd, I hope I can still snorkel and paddleboard and everything! I could really get a bad head injury from this! I hope it doesnt throw me. I hope I dont go unconscious. Man, Terry is going to FREAK out! I hope I dont look really bad when he sees me. Ma, I am so stupid! I cant believe this is happening to me! What the hell?! Its not like I was being reckless! I totally drove scooters and even dirt bikes in the past!"
So, finally, at least it was over, finally, as I hit the tree and car, kind of coming right between the two. The scooter threw me but, thankfully, only about 3 feet to the side, and on the fairly soft dirt. I had a helmet on (we've been very impressed-EVERYONE driving or riding on scooters wears them!) and didnt seem to hit my head--I landed on my left side but seemed to hold my head up to the right. I think both my right wrist and knee hit the tree, and maybe I hit the car on the left w/ my thigh. I wasnt knocked out and I laid there for a few minutes trying to catch my breath, writhing in pain, keeping my head and neck flat. All the while Im thinking, "Terry is going to FREAK out!!! (we call it "the Peterson Gene--they get into LOTS of anxiety about loved ones, whether its warranted or not, and this time, it was warranted. This was no migraine.)"
After a few minutes of laying there, I heard someone walking on the sidewalk above me, so I asked them if they spoke English (thank God they did-I think they were Dutch or something by their accent) and if they could please go down the street to the scoter place and let them know "there was something wrong with the scooter", but to NOT tell my Husband about the accident, under any circumstances because he would freak out. However, before they could even leave, the guy from the scooter shop pulls up, sees me, runs down the hill and brushes me off (good, good, this won't look as bad when I see Terry), tries to make sure Im okay, between his Catalan Spanish and my Castillian/Mexican Spanish/English, and we slowly start walking back toward the shop.
We maybe get 3 steps down the street and I see Terry, rushing up on the sidewalk, eyes as wide as pancakes, face red, clearly FREAKING OUT. I do my best, "I'm fine, I'm fine.", which, for those of you that know us well, I have lots and lots of practice doing with all our races and adventures and subsequent (minor) injuries. He clearly doesnt believe me but puts on a brave face, knowing it'll make me more upset to see him so upset. We all walk back to the scooter place, the shop folks explain that yes, this does happen, and no, I'm not a big "stu-pid-o" like I keep saying, along w/ my apologies and then my crying and theyre just glad Im okay. All the while, my wrist starts swelling, looking like I have a bone protruding about 2-3 inches (which I didnt) and my knee starts ballooning up to twice its normal size. They only made us pay for the 3-day rental, gave us a little weird car/dune buggy thing to use for 1 day and we were off for ice, lots of Alleve, and passed-out rest (with a few awakenings to horrible nightmare replays of the incident).
We took photos of all the crazy injuries, but apparently on the camera, which is way too hard to upload on our tablet from here, and not on the tablet so we'll have to post those at a later date. Ive been a little better than we would've figured, but I am always a tomboy at heart, so I get very motivated to be tough. Im taking a LOT of Alleve, and it feels like I really bruised my ribs on my left side, which Ive never done, so thats a weird feeling and really hurts when I sneeze or cough. Dont think they were brojenthoug, and no other broken bones--knock on wood,Ive got pretty darn strong bones--havent broken one yet! Wrist, knee, and thigh injuries have really gone down, we found some great big waterproof bandags for the big knee one, and now theyre all beautiful shades of reds and purples and some greens! Even going to go on a snorkeling excursion tomorrow then hopefully padleboarding the nextday, b/c I cant take it. Alleve will be my savior and we only have 4 full days left on the island! Please dint judge like I did so many times with all those "idiots" who crash scooters--Ive laid my soul bare here--please handle with care.
And, GO BRONCOS!!! (2 am game time here)

1 comment:

  1. This story cracked me up, but of course I am happy everybody is well! Reminds me of my last time on a snowmobile... similar situation but involved a hill, 2 trees, and a river.

    ReplyDelete